8 Common Problems and Solutions of Hydraulic Wrench Pumps
(Last Updated On: April 15, 2022)
During the daily use of the hydraulic wrench pump, various problems or failures may occur. Therefore, TorcStark has collected common faults and problems during the use of hydraulic wrench pumps and corresponding solutions, hoping to help our customers get a better experience.
Common faults and troubleshooting methods of hydraulic wrench pump
The hydraulic system is very important in equipment maintenance, and the hydraulic pump is the “heart” of the hydraulic system. The fault diagnosis of the hydraulic wrench pump is an important part of equipment maintenance. Relatively speaking, hydraulic wrench pumps have more failures than hydraulic wrenches. It is very practical and necessary for hydraulic wrench users to master the faults and troubleshooting methods of some common hydraulic wrench pumps.
1. If the oil gauge shows that the pressure is rising but the wrench does not work, it may be that the joint fails due to loosening or the solenoid valve fails. You can tighten the connector or replace the connector or solenoid valve and try again.
2. If the oil gauge shows no pressure, first check whether the oil gauge connection is loose or the oil gauge is invalid. If there is no problem with the oil gauge, then check whether the solenoid valve or the reversing valve is invalid. If there is no problem in these places, then there must be a leak in the pump and need to contact the supplier to solve it.
3. If the boost pressure of the electric pump is insufficient or cannot rise to 10000psi, and the problem of insufficient power supply is eliminated, it must be the leakage inside the wrench or the solenoid valve, reversing valve or pump. It is necessary to check whether the sealing rings are worn one by one.
4. If the motor of the pump does not turn after starting, open the electric control box to check or reconnect the loose circuit. If problems are not solved, you need to check whether the motor is damaged.
5. If the motor of the pump rotates slowly and is invalid, first check whether the voltage and air pressure meet the requirements. If there is no problem, check whether the radiator channel is blocked, and cleaning can solve it. There is another failure that is often encountered in wind power sites: the temperature of the pump is overheated. After eliminating the cause of the Undervoltage operation of the power supply, the remaining possibility is that the manual operator still presses the forward button after the cylinder reaches the maximum stroke, which will cause a large amount of hydraulic oil to pass through the small hole in the safety valve and cause heat. Another reason is if the operator releases the button and presses the forward button before the quick release lever is at the front.
When buying a hydraulic wrench pump station, it depends on the model or the parameters?
Because many users do not know that other types of hydraulic wrench pump stations can match the hydraulic wrench used in the field, they can only look for the same model according to the original one. In fact, when purchasing a hydraulic wrench pump station, it is not mainly about its model, but to see whether the following parameters meet the requirements for use.
①Maximum output pressure. Among the current hydraulic wrench brands on the market, the maximum operating pressure does not exceed 70MPa, so first look at the output pressure; ②The selection of the power source of the pumping station. The hydraulic wrench electric pump is used in ordinary working conditions, but for special working conditions such as petroleum and chemical industry, it is necessary to choose those explosion-proof hydraulic wrench pumps or pneumatic hydraulic wrench pumps; ③The last point is whether the rated voltage of the pumping station is consistent with the on-site working conditions.
As long as these 3 points are basically met, it can be used. At present, the hydraulic wrench pump station on the market is basically universal if the performance factors such as quality, speed and weight are not considered. If it cannot be used universally, the main reason is that the quick connectors are not unified, and you just need to directly replace a pair of connectors that are identical to those on the hydraulic wrench and hose.
How often should the hydraulic oil of the hydraulic wrench pump be changed?
If it is a new hydraulic wrench pump, it is best to change the hydraulic oil after about 100 hours of use. Because all the parts of the new equipment are in the running-in process, after 100 hours of running-in, the dust and metal debris that may be attached to the components in the oil circuit during the assembly process can be washed into the fuel tank. Therefore, the hydraulic oil should be completely replaced after the running-in is almost complete. This can effectively ensure the service life of the seals. After that, replace the hydraulic oil every 500 hours of use.
The replacement frequency mentioned above is only for routine use. In actual operation, it is difficult to know how long it has been used, and the frequency of use by different users is also different. The most direct replacement standard is to check the status of the hydraulic oil. If the oil of the hydraulic oil is black and gray-brown, it means that it has been used for too long and the impurities are polluted. At this time, it needs to be replaced immediately. If the hydraulic oil is found to be emulsified or smelly, it means that the oil has deteriorated and needs to be replaced immediately.
What are the reasons why the hydraulic wrench pump does not respond and how to troubleshoot it?
The hydraulic wrench pump is a hydraulic component that provides power for the hydraulic wrench, and is an important part of the entire hydraulic wrench system. When we were all ready at the site to start the electric hydraulic wrench pump to pre-tighten the bolts, we suddenly found that the hydraulic wrench did not turn after pressing the start boost button, and the hydraulic wrench pump station did not work.
Generally, if the hydraulic wrench pump station has no response at startup (the motor does not rotate), there are three possibilities. The first: There is a circuit fault in the control handle of the electric hydraulic wrench pump. It is necessary to check whether the handle connection is loose or broken, resulting in the inability of the control signal to be transmitted. The second: Whether the line connection of the electrical box of the electric hydraulic wrench pump has loosened and fallen off due to a long time. Open the electrical box to troubleshoot and reconnect. If there is no problem with the control wiring, it may be the third situation: the motor of the electric hydraulic wrench pump is faulty. The motor needs to be repaired or replaced.
Usually, due to the drag of the handle of the hydraulic wrench pump and the vibration of the pump station itself during operation, it may cause the loosening of the line connecting screws over time, so the first two conditions are more likely to occur. We only need a screwdriver and a multimeter to handle it easily.
How to better maintain the hydraulic wrench pump
1. Hydraulic oil: The hydraulic oil in the hydraulic wrench pump should be replaced after 40 hours of continuous operation. The specific replacement frequency depends on the frequency of use. Always ensure that there is hydraulic oil in the tank;
2. Quick connector: Regularly check the quick connector connected to the hydraulic wrench pump station to prevent leakage, and keep the quick connector clean before use;
3. Pressure gauge: If the liquid level drops, it means that the pressure gauge is leaking. If there is hydraulic oil in the gauge, it means that the pressure gauge is invalid and needs to be replaced in time;
4. The oil inlet filter of the pump station: the filter needs to be replaced every 2 years. If the frequency of use is high, it needs to be replaced frequently;
5. Remote control switch: The air tube connected to the remote control switch should be checked regularly to prevent obstruction or knots. If the air tube is bent or ruptured, it should be replaced in time. Periodically check the spring-loaded buttons on the remote control handle;
6. Pump station: every time it is working, if the temperature of the fuel tank of the pump station is too high, it needs to be stopped to cool. Check the pump station every 2 years.
How to adjust the pressure of the hydraulic wrench pump?
Turn on the power switch to start the pump station, first loosen the pressure regulating valve until the pointer of the pressure gauge returns to zero. Press and hold the ON button on the hand crank, and slowly turn the pressure regulating valve clockwise. At the same time, pay attention to the pressure value of the pressure gauge pointer. When the required pressure value is reached, stop turning and tighten the lock valve. Release the hand crank button to return the oil to the pump station, the pointer of the pressure gauge returns to zero, and then press the ON button to increase the pressure, and the pointer of the pressure gauge will return to the pressure value just set. This completes the pressure regulation of the pump station.
Influence of pressure instability of hydraulic wrench pump
1. Seriously affect the service life of the bolt: After the nut has been repaired and disassembled for many times, the hexagonal surface of most nuts will fail, causing it to be unable to be tightened or scrapped. At the same time, the change of the output torque of the hydraulic wrench will also produce a certain impact between the sleeve and the lock nut, which will greatly reduce the number of times the equipment bolts can be disassembled and repaired;
2. Bring hidden dangers to the installation of the equipment: the thrust of the hydraulic cylinder is F=P×A. When the output pressure P of the hydraulic wrench pump is unstable, the output force F of the hydraulic cylinder will also fluctuate, resulting in unstable output torque of the hydraulic wrench, thus affecting the unstable locking torque of the bolt. This brings potential safety hazards to the installation of the equipment.
The reason for the noise of the hydraulic wrench pump
1. There is air in the hydraulic wrench pump. This fault usually occurs when a new pump is installed. When starting a new pump, oil should be injected into the pump first to lubricate the bearing, plunger and cylinder of the pump.
2. The viscosity of the hydraulic oil is too large, which reduces the self-priming capacity of the pump and reduces the volumetric efficiency.
3. The oil level in the oil tank of the hydraulic wrench pump is too low. The blockage of the oil suction pipe makes the oil suction resistance larger, which causes the pump to suck air or there is air leakage in the oil inlet pipe section, and the pump sucks air.
4. The oil pump and the motor of the hydraulic wrench pump are improperly installed, that is to say, the concentricity between the pump shaft and the motor shaft is inconsistent, so that the oil pump bearing is subjected to radial force to generate noise.
The above is about the problems that may be encountered in the process of using the hydraulic wrench pump, and the solutions to solve the problems. If you encounter a problem that is difficult to handle, please feel free to contact our technical staff.